Wednesday, April 7, 2010

5 Museum Visits that Changed my LIfe: A Personal Post



#5 First Visit to Metropolitan Museum, 1992


Pablo Picasso, Woman Playing Mandolin

Georges Braque, Le Jour, 1929

#4 the Centre Pompidou after Anne Wagner's New Media course, 2006

Donald Judd



Man Ray, Self Portrait


#3 First and Only Tate Modern Visit, 5th Floor 2007


Roy Lichtenstein, Whaam!


Robert Rauschenberg, Almanac, 1962

Andy Warhol, Skulls (source)

#2 Over-sized Canvas Room in the Louvre After Darcy Grigsby's Neoclassicism/French Revolutionary Art Course
, 2006


Jacques-Louis David, The Lictors Returning to Brutus the Bodies of His Sons

Théodore Géricault, Raft of the Medusa

Jacques-Louis David, Rape of the Sabine Women


#1 SFMOMA 2003 Gerhard Richter Retrospective



Mustang-Staffel (Mustang Squadron)


Reading

48 Portraits


#5 My first visit to the Met at age 6, after my first exposure to art history in a series of after school courses called "Paint like Picasso" and "Paint like Monet." I will never live down correcting my mom in the cubism gallery.

#4 First time at the Centre Pompidou after Anne Wagner's New Media course. I had been to the Pompidou before in 2002, but at that point I was more interested in post-impressionism so I spent more time in the Orsay. During the spring of 2006 I was in Paris for a very short time over spring break and spent 4 hours in the Pompidou's permanent collection galleries. They arrange their works by theme as opposed to solely chronology or schools. It is a totally different way to view art. Needless to say, it was a life changing event since I was in the midst of my first exposure to contemporary art in Wagner's class.

#3 First and only visit to the Tate Modern. I was in London for 3 days in 2007 after my semester abroad in Italy, and spent an entire afternoon walking through the Tate galleries alone. I could not believe the collection at the Tate modern, especially the 5th floor. Their Andy Warhol collection is outstanding.

#2 Over-sized canvases at the Louvre after Darcy Grigsby's Neoclassical Course. This was my first serious art history course as a freshman, and it was what made me decide to become an art history major. There was one specific moment in her lecture on David's Rape of the Sabine Women that was so compelling, I felt something literally "click" in my brain and I knew art history was the only option for me. I'm such an art nerd that every time I think about this moment it I can still feel that same emotion.

#1 Gerhard Richter's Retrospective at the SFMOMA in 2003. I was a high school student, and took a field trip with my drawing/painting art practice course to see this exhibit. My first exposure to Richter was so powerful that it stayed with me throughout high school and into my undergraduate studies. I ended up writing my undergraduate thesis on Richter after studying him with Wagner in New Media and her Appropriation seminar.

No comments:

Post a Comment